What exactly is the Lord's Supper all about?
It’s one of the very few rituals that Christians are commanded to perform. Dave gives some teaching on this subject from a biblical perspective. The contents of the handout are reproduced below. (The sound quality is not wonderful)
The LORD’S SUPPER
Holy Cross, 7 & 8 September 2021
PART 1. DEFINING THE SUPPER: WHAT IS IT?
A. It’s the Lord’s!
Luke 22vv14-20; 1 Cor 11v20
B. It’s a supper of bread and wine hosted by Jesus and shared with his people, that focuses on his sacrifice.
Luke 22; 1 Cor 10vv16-17
Nb. “when you come together” (1 Cor 11vv17,18,20,33,34)
C. It’s a sacrament
D. What doesn’t happen?
- Jesus’ sacrifice is not re-offered.
- The bread and wine do not become Jesus’ flesh and blood.
- It doesn’t put us or keep us in God’s good books.
- It includes remembrance, but it’s about more than that.
E. It is God’s gift to us to sign and seal his new covenant – Mark 14v24; 1 Cor 11v25
F. Through it, the Lord gives his people:
- A special communion with one another.
- A special communion with himself.
PART 2. CELEBRATING THE SUPPER: WHO AND HOW?
A. Repentant sinners should come!
B …So before coming, we must examine ourselves for…(1 Corinthians 11vv27-29)
2…Known tension with a church member
C. Unrepentant sinners should not come (even if they call themselves Christian)
D. How should we come?
- Look back.
- Look within.
- Look around.
- Look forward.
- Keep looking up.
What have you been struck by?
If you celebrate the Lord’s Supper, what differences will what you’ve heard make to how you do so?
PART 3. HOW SHOULD CHILDREN BE INVOLVED?
A. When should children take the Lord’s Supper?
- faith in Jesus
- repentant of known sins
- able to discern the body
Or: a personal, public faith in Jesus
- Parent proposes to a pastor that their child might be ready to share the Lord’s Supper
- Short Lord’s Supper course (led by non-family member)
- If not baptised: baptism
- If baptised: we strongly encourage another public declaration of faith,
i.e. reaffirmation of baptismal vows or Confirmation
- Draw near with faith!
B. Children who aren’t sharing the Lord’s Supper
- Join in